Probably the best experience of my life! (up to this point that is)
Why, you might ask? Well, first I'll explain why I went to Vietnam.
I went to Vietnam for a volunteer-internship under AIESEC National Economics University in Hanoi, Vietnam. It's a 6-week program wherein we teach University students how to speak, or to put in the right perspective, communicate in English in an international setting. Which is why there were several of us from different countries who work under this program. It was less of teaching English, since they are in University and they are expected to know how to speak english, but more of, teaching them how to be more confident in speaking English, especially in front of a crowd.
So, more on my program later.
I haven't really answered yet, why I went to Vietnam. Why of all places, Vietnam.
I honestly don't know the answer. It was an impulse decision you might say. I didn't speak to anyone about it. I didn't tell my parents I was applying during the time I had interviews via Skype, until I was sure I got in.
Basically, I was feeling unmotivated with all the schoolworks and lack of extra curricular activities I had during that time (November-ish). I felt like I wasn't doing anything productive, or anything I'm happy to be doing. I wanted to get away. I wanted another environment, to clear my mind, as cliche as it sounds, I wanted to find myself.
Why Vietnam and why this program? It was the most convenient and most fitting for me I thought. The program schedule didn't interfere with my school schedule, I am able to get back by the time school starts. I figured I wasn't gonna be so much shocked by the culture since I've been to different Asian countries. And really that was it. I had no specific reasons for making a decision to go, for choosing Vietnam and that program specifically, I just did it.
I arrived Vietnam past midnight and the next day I was all alone because the other interns wouldn't come by the coming days. So I was a bit anxious going out of the hostel I was staying at. Thank goodness for google maps and all the travel guide apps for helping me out. Soon enough I discovered I was pretty near Hoan Kiem lake and decided to go there and walk around.
There's a temple on the lake where you pay (est)20,000 dong for entrance and it archives a remnant of a huge turtle that used to exist within the lake.
My first ever meal in Vietnam. Bún Bò Nam Bộ, well it's not that specifically because I prefer chicken than beef. I think Bún Bò Nam Bộ is beef specifically.
I met a Chinese girl who stayed at the same hostel I was staying at and we decided to go out for some drinks, alongside my other co-intern. Unknown to us, Hanoi has a midnight curfew for bars and back in Singapore (where she was studying) and in Philippines, bars usually start filling up with people by midnight. Needless to say, we bought each a drink then had to leave immediately. (Some upscale clubs close at 2am, we found out about this the coming days)
A restaurant I truly enjoy is City View Cafe. Aside from the good food, it has an awesome view especially when you choose to stay at the balcony. The price is good considering the quality of food and the ambience it provides, but definitely something you splurge on.
We opted to take a day tour via this electric car (see photo below) that went through the old quarter but honestly if you have the time and the energy to walk around, you might as well go on your own walking around old quarter instead.
There's tons of ladies who sell this in the streets of Hanoi. You'd think it's a sweet treat but you'll be surprised by the corn-y taste it has.
If you have time visit the Vietnamese Women's Museum, it's one of the highly ranked museums within Hanoi plus it's only a walking distance from the Hoan Kiem Lake.
xo Michelle














No comments:
Post a Comment